…I think the title speaks for itself…
…I think the title appropriately illuminates my life as a “teacher” in the inner-city…
Who would have thought that the Talking Heads would be able to sum up a year of my life…the WORST year of my life…within three simple words?
I am writing this in response to a claim from a friend who said that what I’m doing on this site is demoralizing and shameful. Is it? Is it really? …Because this is the stark reality and truth of my life. What you read here is not staged or contrived…it’s REAL! It’s the stuff you do not hear about on the radio or see on the television.
The truth is ugly sometimes.
This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco,
this ain’t no fooling around
No time for dancing, or lovey dovey,
I ain’t got time for that now
(a little more Talking Heads)
Yes, I do have students who:
- Think sexually harassing a teacher is okay
- Curse the teacher out on a daily basis. For example, I was asked during the first week of school, “Why we gotta do this shit? I don’t wanna read this. Dis shit boring!” …referring the Elie Wiesel’s Night
- Defecate in the trash “can” instead of the toilet
- Curse the principal out
- Tell the Assistant Superintendent of the school system, “You betta stop talking to me you old, white-ass honkey”
- Plug their cell phones up to charge while “class” is in session
- Wear red, orange, yellow-blond, or blue weave
…Shall I continue? Demoralizing?