This past week has been full of surprises. Some have been like “Yayyy! A surprise!” Then others were like, “Yeah, bitch, surprise…suck it.”
Yayyy! A surprise!
1. My first period class threw me a birthday party Friday. I was all like “Awww! For me?” And they were like, “We love you, Friendly…oh yes we do! We love you Friendly, and we’ll be true.” You have to sing it to the tune of “We Love You, Conrad,” from the musical Bye, Bye, Birdie (random, I know).
2. I was offered a teaching contract for the 2010-2011 school year.
3. I finally received that fucking paper from Sallie Mae stating that I was no longer in default of my loans…meaning I am now eligible to jump in the fryer (again) and accrue more debt in the name of education.
“Yeah, bitch, surprise…suck it.”
1. I sent an email to my adviser of the PhD program I am to begin in the Fall. I was following up to an email correspondence we had in March. See, in March, she told me that there was a possibility that I would not be offered the fellowship I was offered the year before. I, RESPECTFULLY (Girl Scout promise, made with REAL Girl Scouts), went ham on her ass and explained how surprised I was at the possibility of the fellowship not being extended to me. I ended the March letter by asking her what all I needed to do to ensure that the fellowship happened. Yeah…I didn’t receive a response to that question. Now, in May, I’m still being given the slip. Thanks Dr. Douchebag!
2. MANY of my colleagues were not offered contracts for the 2010-2011 school year. Learning that information made my stomach hurt. Two of those three teachers are terrific teachers. I personally know seven teachers who will not have a job next year, and that’s seven teachers too many.
3. The signing of my 2010-2011 contract and the unresponsiveness of my graduate admissions adviser, has placed me back into make-a-plan mode. I thought I had a plan…